萌犬秘闻视听原文 英汉(5)
在这里测试她是否有潜质成为全国需求量最大的狗。
We're revealing the secret life of dogs. 我们正在揭秘狗的生活。
Now seven weeks old, our puppy is at the perfect age to assess whether she has the qualities to be one of the most highly-trained working dogs.
我们的小狗七周大了,这年龄正适合评估她是否有潜力成为一只最训练有素的工作犬。
Is she fit, healthy, intelligent, and above all the right character to be a guide dog for the blind?
她是否健康、聪慧,尤其是是否具有成为导盲犬的资质。
The first test is to see how she'll respond to an unfamiliar, slightly scary sound.
第一项测试是观察她在面对有些吓人的陌生声音时会如何反应。
She should react but not panic. 她应当有所反应,但不能惊慌失措。
Very good. Sat and watched that really intently. 做得真棒。很认真地坐在那看着。
The most crucial trait is loyalty, looking to her owner at all times and in all situations.
最重要的品质是忠诚随时随地都要关注她的主人。
Puppy! Puppy, come on. 小狗狗!小狗狗,过来。
There we are. That's really good. 没错,做的真棒。
And it seems like she's got what it takes. 看来她拥有所需品质。
You might wonder if your dog could qualify to be a guide dog.
你可能在想你的狗是否也有成为导盲犬的潜质。
You can get an idea by observing them. 你可以从观察中得到答案。
Research has shown that dogs are left- or right-pawed. 研究表明狗分左撇子和右撇子。
Are you a left-footer, Max? Eh? Is you a left-footer? No? 你是左撇子吗,马克斯?你是左撇子吗?不是吗?
You can test this by watching closely to see which paw they step off with.
想要确定,可以通过仔细观察它们用哪只爪迈出第一步。
I think that was a right foot start. 我觉得是右爪先迈的。
Here. Yeah, she's left-footed, isn't she? You're left-handed. 过来,她是左撇子,不是吗?你是左撇子哟。
OK, let's go. 好了,走吧。
I think we've proven there, in that unbiased test, that it was his right foot that came forward. 我想刚才的无差测试已经证明它先迈的是右爪。
Preliminary research has shown that right-pawed dogs are statistically more likely to pass their guide dog test. 初步研究表明,根据统计右撇子狗更有可能通过导盲犬测试。
You'd get them run over by the bus, you would, wouldn't you? 让你领着的话,会被车子撞的吧?
There's another clue to the chances of them passing in the swirls of hair on your dog.
还有一个线索能判断狗狗通过测试的几率,那就是它们毛发的旋。
And it all depends which way they turn. Clockwise. Anti-clockwise.
完全取决于毛发往哪边螺旋。顺时针。逆时针。
If your dog is right-pawed and the swirl goes anti-clockwise, then your dog is more likely to be calm, confident and self-assured exactly the traits that a guide dog needs.
如果你的狗是右撇子,且旋的方向是逆时针,那你的狗多半温顺自信、自我认同度高,完全符合导盲犬的品质需要。
Do you want to be a guide dog? You could be a blind dog for the Guides.
你想成为导盲犬吗?你只能成为被导的盲犬吧。
And if your dog is left-pawed, be prepared for some creative solutions to your problems.
如果你的狗是左撇子,准备接受它们解决你烦恼的奇思妙想吧。
Back with our puppy, and she's joined a group of other potential guide dogs.
再来看我们的小狗,她刚加入了一群导盲犬培养对象。
And what do you know? She's also right-pawed. 果不其然,她也是右撇子。
There's still a year of training to complete, but for now she can have fun.
它们还要接受一年的训练,但眼下还可以开心地玩耍。
We've trained dogs for thousands of years to work with us, harnessing their incredible physical abilities.
几千年来,我们训练狗来协助我们,充分利用了它们难以置信的体能。
And the husky is one of the best there is. They're superb athletes.
哈士奇是其中的佼佼者,它们是出类拔萃的运动员。
Able to run for over 100 miles a day in sub-zero temperatures. And they love it.
能在零下的温度每天奔跑超过一百六十公里。它们也喜欢这样。
They have a coat of fur two layers thick that insulates them from the cold.
它们的皮毛是厚厚的两层,足以抵御寒冷。
Even at -60, they won't get frostbite. 即使是零下六十摄氏度它们也不会冻伤。
And when they need to cool down, like all dogs, they pant. 需要散热时,它们和所有狗一样喘气。
By looking at these huskies with a thermal camera, we can see that their mouths and tongues are white with the heat that they're expelling from their body core. 通过热成像仪观察这些哈士奇,可以看出它们的嘴和舌头是白色的,这是它们在驱散体内的热量。
And it means that when your dog is panting after a run, she's not puffed out, she's just cooling down.
这意味着如果你的狗在奔跑后喘气,她并不是气喘吁吁,只是在散热。
It's a dog's main method of losing heat. 这是狗散热的主要方法。
As they're covered in fur, the only place they can really sweat is through their paws.
它们全身覆盖皮毛,唯一能出汗的地方就是它们的爪子。
Dogs have been our working companions for as long as we can remember. 长久以来,狗都是我们的好帮手。
We've used the Basset Hound's nose to sniff out prey; the Rottweiler's strength for guarding our homes; the Afghan's sight and speed to give chase; and the Husky's endurance in extreme environments.